Proof of Financial Responsibility (Insurance)
Ohio Revised Code section 4509.101 states the following relative to insurance:
"No person shall operate, or permit the operation of, a motor vehicle in this state, unless proof of financial responsibility is maintained continuously throughout the registration period with respect to that vehicle, or, in the case of a driver who is not the owner, with respect to that driver's operation of that vehicle.
A peace officer shall indicate on every traffic ticket whether the person receiving the traffic ticket produced proof of the maintenance of financial responsibility in response to the officer's request under division (D)(2) of this section. The peace officer shall inform every person who receives a traffic ticket and who has failed to produce proof of the maintenance of financial responsibility that the person must submit proof to the traffic violations bureau with any payment of a fine and costs for the ticketed violation or, if the person is to appear in court for the violation, the person must submit proof to the court.
The clerk of courts shall provide the registrar with the identity of any person who fails to submit proof of the maintenance of financial responsibility pursuant to division (D)(3) of this section.
If a person who has failed to produce proof of the maintenance of financial responsibility also fails to submit that proof to the traffic violations bureau with payment of a fine and costs for the ticketed violation, the traffic violations bureau, in a manner prescribed by the registrar, shall notify the registrar of the identity of that person.
The Court will accept proof of insurance in the following statutorily approved forms:
- A financial responsibility identification card as provided in section 4509.103 [4509.10.3] of the Revised Code;
- A certificate of proof of financial responsibility on a form provided and approved by the registrar for the filing of an accident report required to be filed under section 4509.06 of the Revised Code;
- A policy of liability insurance, a declaration page of a policy of liability insurance, or liability bond, if the policy or bond complies with section 4509.20 or sections 4509.49 to 4509.61 of the Revised Code;
- A bond or certification of the issuance of a bond as provided in section 4509.59 of the Revised Code;
- A certificate of deposit of money or securities as provided in section 4509.62 of the Revised Code;
- A certificate of self-insurance as provided in section 4509.72 of the Revised Code."
A person may also present proof of financial responsibility under this section to the Traffic Violations Bureau, Court, Registrar, or Peace Officer through use of an electronic wireless communications device as specified under section 4509.103 of the Revised Code.
Proof of insurance is not an insurance bill or a printed computer screen from your insurance agent.
Any proof of insurance submitted to the Court must demonstrate coverage on the date the citation was issued to you. If you are requesting driving privileges, you will have the additional requirement of providing current insurance to our Probation Department. Proof of insurance must be received by the Clerk's office no later than the close of business on the day in which you have been sentenced or have paid a traffic ticket through the Violations Bureau. We accept proof of insurance by facsimile at (440) 953-4149.
Clerk Of Court
Chief Deputy Clerk